BOYS AND GIRLS
Section 1. RULES
All contests under the jurisdiction of the Committee shall be played according to the National Federation of State High School Association Basketball Rules, except for any special rulings adopted by the Committee.
- The Committee feels that if the physical welfare of the student-athletes participating in basketball is to receive due consideration, athletes must not be allowed to participate in a junior varsity and varsity game on the same date for a longer period of time than will constitute three (3) halves per game day. Entering any half of a game constitutes a full half.
- It is the responsibility of the varsity coach to see that this rule is observed or suffer the possible forfeiture of the game.
- A visible 30-second shot clock for boys and girls shall be utilized for all RIIL contests.
- Game Rules (Boys and Girls):
- Two (2) sixteen (16) minute halves
- Four (4) time outs per game
- Two (2) thirty-second time outs per game
- Unused time-outs accumulate and may be used at any time
- Coaches are allowed to call time outs
The number of adults (certified coaches and scorers) sitting on the bench at all games is limited to a maximum of four (4). Athletic trainer(s) and student scorers are allowed to sit on the bench.
- The home school should provide the services of a licensed doctor and/or a licensed trainer at all basketball games. The medical personnel should introduce himself/herself to both coaches and referees prior to the start of the game.
Section 2. SCHEDULE/GAMES
The Director(s) of basketball shall make up the schedules and order of games. No school may make any changes to this schedule without the approval of the Director(s). See Article 1, Section 17 (Home Confirmation Schedule).
- No basketball game(s) shall be scheduled prior to the Round Robin Injury Fund contest. No game(s) other than the Injury Fund contest may be played on this date.
- The official starting time for varsity basketball games shall be 7:00 PM for boys and girls games, except by mutual agreement of the opposing school’s principals.
- The home team must make the playing surface available at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the varsity game, at the risk of forfeiture of the game.
- Games played during the regular season may not start earlier than 3:30 PM, except by mutual agreement of the opposing schools’ principals.
- No scrimmages are allowed until the sixth (6th) day of practice, excluding Sunday. Student-athletes must practice a minimum of five (5) days.
Section 3. POSTPONEMENTS
The postponement rules contained in Article 4, unless otherwise stated, shall govern all postponed basketball games.
- 4. OFFICIALS
RIIL assigned official’s authority extends to pre and post-game oversight. Fighting and unsportsmanlike penalties will be within the authority of the officials at all times at the contest site. It shall be the responsibility of the officials to see that benches are cleared of everyone except coaches, assistant coaches, managers, scorers, players, the school physician, and a representative of the press.
- The Principal of the home school and/or his/her designee shall be the game supervisor. The supervisor shall not be a student or a coach involved with the game. The supervisor shall identify himself or herself to the game officials(s) thirty (3) minutes prior to the start of the game. The supervisor shall be responsible for game administration. Police protection shall be provided when necessary.
- Prior to the start of each game, the Sportsmanship Card shall be read to all coaches and team members at the foul line closest to each team’s bench.
Section 5. PLAYOFFS
The Championship playoffs will be conducted under the direction of the Director of Basketball in a format determined by the Director of Basketball, approved by the Principals Committee on Athletics.
Playoffs will be determined by final team standings. Seeding will be the responsibility of the Director of Basketball (ties in finals standing will be determined by head to head team competition, and other approved tiebreakers). Any playoff game suspended due to inclement weather, darkness or any other reason shall be rescheduled for the next playable date and resumed at the point of suspension to completion.