BOYS AND GIRLS
Section 1. RULES
All meets under the jurisdiction of the RIIL shall be operated according to the official National Federation of State High School Association Swimming Rules except for any special rulings adopted by the Committee.
- A swimmer shall be permitted to enter a maximum of four (4) events, no more than two (2) of which shall be individual events.
- The number of competitors in each event for a dual meet is limited to two (2) competitors from each school for an individual event, and two (2) teams for a relay event.
- All Rhode Island pools will be used and scored as four (4) lane pools.
Section 2. SCHEDULES/MEETS
The Director of Swimming with the approval of the Committee on Athletics shall make up the schedules and the order of the meets. No school may make any changes to the schedule. See Article 1, Section 17 (Home Confirmation Schedule).
- The following events shall be standard for meets held under the jurisdiction of the Committee. The order of the events is to be held as listed in the current National Federation Rule Book. The authorized events for the RIIL are:
- 200 yd./m...medley relay
- 200 yd./m...freestyle
- 200 yd./m...individual medley
- 50 yd./m….freestyle
- 100 yd./m...butterfly
- 100 yd./m...freestyle
- 500 yd./m...freestyle
- 200 yd./m...freestyle relay
- 100 yd./m...backstroke
- 100 yd./m...breaststroke
- 400 yd./m...freestyle relay
Section 3. POSTPONEMENTS
The postponement rules contained in Article 4, unless otherwise stated, shall govern all postponed swimming meets.
- Meets are to be held on scheduled dates with the following exceptions:
- inclement weather, day after
- unavailable facilities, the day before or after
- Notice of schedule change to No. 2 above must be given to the Director of Swimming at the start of the season. If the facilities are not available on any one of these three days, the Director of Swimming is empowered to schedule the meet at a neutral pool on one of the above mentioned days.
- In case of an emergency, a date may be changed by mutual agreement of the opposing school’s Principals and with the permission of the Director of Swimming.
Section 4. OFFICIALS
RIIL assigned official’s authority extends to pre and post-game oversight. Fighting and unsportsmanlike penalties will be within the authority of the officials at all times at the contest site.
- If only one official is assigned to a dual meet (where normally 2 officials would be assigned) then the official present may assign the visiting coach to assist where needed.
Section 5. CHAMPIONSHIP MEETS
The Championship will be conducted under the direction of the Director of Swimming in a format determined by the Director of Swimming, approved by the Committee, and published with the RIIL Swimming Schedule.
- In championship meets, each team shall be permitted a maximum of four (4) entries in an individual event and one (1) team in a relay event.
- The Individual State Championship Meet will be the State Championship Meet. The school whose swimmers accumulate the highest number of points in this meet will be the State Champion.
- RIIL Dual Meet/Division Championships will be determined by the team with the greatest number of points arrived at by crediting a school with two points for a victory and one point for a tie.
- In Dual Meets the points will be awarded as follows:
1st Place 6 points 1st Place 4 points
2nd Place 3 points 2nd Place 3 points
3rd Place 1 point 3rd Place 1 point
- There will be a girls’ and boys’ championship meet.
Section 6. INDIVIDUAL SWIMMERS
- The RIIL will sponsor four (4) qualifying meets for individual swimmers.
- Individual swimmers must establish qualifying times as determined by the Swim Committee for Individual and State Championship meets.
- Individual swimmers must establish qualifying times from three (3) of the four (4) qualifying meets or as determined by the Director of Swimming.
- A minimum of two (2) of three (3) qualifying meets may at times suffice at the discretion of the Director of Swimming.
- Moderators and/or coaches of individual swimmers must attend the Compulsory Coaches Interpretation meeting prior to the beginning of the season.