Attention Member School Principals, Athletic Directors, Athletic Trainers and Coaches
Pursuant to the passage of Title 16, Chapter 91.1 – An Act Relating to Education – Cardiac Prevention in School Sports
In accordance with this Rhode Island Law:
- Beginning with the 2017 winter season, ALL coaches must complete the free online course NFHS Sudden Cardiac Arrest prior to the start of the season. This course will discuss the nature and warning signs of sudden cardiac arrest, including the risks associated with continuing to play or practice after experiencing the symptoms.
- Schools must educate coaches, teachers, school nurses, athletes and their parents about the nature and warning signs of sudden cardiac arrest, including the risks associated with continuing to play or practice after experiencing the symptoms.
- Parents and or guardians shall be provided with information as to the nature and warning signs of sudden cardiac arrest prior to the start of every season. The RI Department of Health and the RI Department of education recommend the Parent Heart Watch Protecting Youth from Sudden Cardiac Arrest brochure.
- A student who, as determined by a game official, coach from the student’s team, certified athletic trainer, licensed physician or other official designated by the student’s school entity, exhibits signs or symptoms of sudden cardiac arrest while participating in an athletic activity shall be removed by the coach from participation at that time, subject to subsection (3) of this section.
- If a student is known to have exhibited signs or symptoms of sudden cardiac arrest at any time prior to or following an athletic activity, the student shall be prevented from participating in an athletic activity, subject to subsection (3) of this section.
- A student removed or prevented from participating in an athletic activity under subsections (1) or (2) of this section shall not return to participation until the student is evaluated and cleared for return to participation in writing by a licensed physician, certified registered nurse practitioner or cardiologist.
- All school districts are encouraged to have an athletic trainer, or similarly trained person at all recreational and athletic events addressed by this statute.
- With Smart Certification’s bite sized lessons and integrated Smart Feedback Skills Evaluation, your coaches will gain the life saving skill needed to protect their players, in record time. Anywhere, Anytime…
- For questions on group rates and enrollment:
- To start training go on your smartphone & click here.
- To watch a short in-app demo, click here.
- Visit: ResusciTech.io
ResusciTech is a proud partner of the RIIL